These guidelines have been adopted by agreement between all the Lists at the Victorian Bar and the Victorian Bar.
Except as provided in paragraph 4, below,
- Applications by prospective readers for a List place may be made only once the prospective reader has received an offer of a place in the Readers’ Course from the Victorian Bar (Bar Offer).
- An application made prior to the making of Bar Offers will not be considered by the Lists.
- Applicants should apply directly to the List(s) by which they wish to be considered.
- There is no limit on the number of Lists to which a prospective reader may apply.
- Applications for a List place close at 4.00pm on Friday 12 July 2019.
- Except as provided in paragraph 4, below,
- Lists will not interview applicants for List places, or contact applicants to arrange an interview, any earlier than the date on which Bar Offers are made.
- Once Bar Offers are made, Lists may conduct interviews at any time up until 4.00pm on Friday 9 August 2019. Lists may choose to indicate on their websites the period in which they propose to conduct interviews.
3. List Offers
- Except as provided in paragraph 4, below, Lists should only make offers or arrangements for readers to join the List (List Offer) after 9.00am on Monday 12 August 2019.
- If a List makes a List Offer to an applicant the List may, at the discretion of the List, permit the applicant to defer their place for a one year period, but only if the Victorian Bar also approves a deferment of the reader’s reading period.
- A List Offer will remain open for a period of not less than 2 business days from the time at which it is made. The List will inform the applicant of the time for which the List Offer remains open at the time the List Offer is made.
- Where an applicant cannot, for reasons of genuine necessity, participate in an interview in the period between the making of his or her application and 9 August 2019 he or she may make an application to the Victorian Bar, with any relevant supporting documentation, to be interviewed by Lists at a later date. Permission is granted at the sole discretion of the Victorian Bar.
- These guidelines do not apply to applications by, and List Offers to, indigenous applicants.